If I told my office mate--she who is an avowed Atheist--this story, she would think nothing of it. She would say that it was lucky I misplaced the receipt in my bag rather than throwing it away. The other day she exclaimed "Thank the God I don't believe in!" when something good happened--I think when the heat got turned up in our office. I love her a lot, but I feel sad that she does not have the belief and faith that would help her to recognize that the blessings of our lives are gifts from a loving father in heaven who knows and cares for us.
That's how I celebrated finding my receipt--by thanking Him. It was such a small thing. No one knew I was looking for it, or how much I actually hoped to find it, already believing it gone forever, somehow carelessly thrown away. Heavenly Father could very well have NOT helped me find it, and I would still continue to trust in Him. Yet in His mercy, because He cares about the things I care about, small and not, He gave it back to me.
NZ doesn't have a Thanksgiving, but today I am celebrating it in my heart with gratitude for everything the Lord gives to me, big and small, insignificant and life-changing. I am grateful for so many things:
- That I was able to climb the stairs today for the first time in a month!
- That I have had the past month of being incapacitated to appreciate everyday of my life when I'm not!
- For every time I cross the street safely
- That my lungs work
- That I am free from harmful addictions
- Beautiful music. This song has blessed my life lately.
- Religious freedom
- All my freedoms!
- Wonderful memories to fill my mind
- Wonderful possibilities ahead of me
- Wonderful people surrounding me
- Naturally straight teeth (thanks to my dad)
- Organs that function, cells that regenerate, wounds that heal
- Clean water to drink and fresh air to breathe
- Opportunities to step outside of my comfort zone--to change and become better
So happy Thanksgiving everyone! Don't forget to thank the Lord himself, from whom all blessings flow. He gives us so many great reasons to rejoice!