Saturday, October 23, 2010

b.p.o.y.d

Last year, my roommate and I were both going through extremely difficult times personally. Most days we'd wake up hopeful, determined to beat the black clouds that day, but more often than not we would return home in the evening with slow steps, sagging shoulders, and a drooping spirit.

Then dear Roommate had a moment of inspiration at the end of another very long day.
her: "hey, I have an idea."
me, having just crawled under the covers with all of my clothes still on: "egh?"
her: "If you haven't noticed, we've been pretty depressed lately, and I've found myself focusing more and more on the negative. We've just had a hard time being happy."
me, moaning out of the side of my mouth face down on a pillow: "I know! and I'm tired of being sad."
her: "me too! So, I've got an idea!: at the end of every day, let's take a second and say what the best part of our day was. That way we will be looking for the good and can try to be a little happier."
me, sitting up: "That's a good idea. Let's do it!"

pause.
We look at each other....
both of us: "ready, go!"

So, that's how "best part of the day" (also known as "b.p.o.y.d" affectionately) started. We have done it every possible day for over a year now, sometimes over the phone or through email on different continents, and the effect it has had on our lives has been incredible.

Some benefits:
  • At least one good thing happens every day. Focusing on it before falling asleep turns whatever mood you're in to one of memory, gratitude, happiness, and hope.
  • Even if the best part of your day is going home and ending it--you can still rejoice in that.
  • b.p.y.o.d has helped me go from sad to ecstatic, every day. I am happy to be alive and rejoice that the Lord sees fit to bless me with 24 hours of continued living, learning, and growing everyday.
  • Almost without exception, our b.p.o.y.d's have something to do with service someone unexpectedly rendered to us, a moment we were able to help someone else in a meaningful way, the realization of some goal, or something beautiful that touched our lives. This has helped us realize what is really important--gifts, money, new clothes, etc. have never been the b.p.o.y.d.
Over time, another question has been added to the b.p.y.o.d moments before bed--what did you do for someone today?

And gradually, b.p.y.o.d has been shared with others. Roommate's family, my family, friends who needed a pick-themselves-up before they picked themselves apart. Most recently we've enjoyed sharing our b.p.o.y.d's with new roommates as we've knelt each night (that we remember) in roommate prayer. Four nights this week those circles have included other friends that we feel blessed to be able to share our home with on a regular basis. Each night we reflect and rejoice together about the goodness in life. God does not forget us! and even though we sometimes feel like we're in a quagmire of standing problems, unable to move or go forward, b.p.o.y.d helps us to see that, little by little, we are getting somewhere, good is happening, and day by day, our lives do make a difference in the world.

The best part of my day yesterday was hanging out with my family at the end of a long day.
The best part of my day thursday was unpaid time I spent being a friend to a co-worker.
And the best part of my day today is yet to be determined.

So now, my question to you is, what was the best part of your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment